GLG Programming Reference Manual
This book provides information about programming with GLG and using different GLG Run-Time environments, including C/C++, Java, C#/.NET and ActiveX Control.
The first section of this manual describes the C API, while the rest of the book describes the C++, Java, C#/.NET and ActiveX Control versions.
Although various programming environments such as C, C++, Java, C#/.NET and ActiveX, use different syntax to invoke the GLG API, the semantics of the API methods is the same in either environment. The C programming section provides the most detailed description of each method in terms of its effect on the underlying GLG objects. It also provides more examples and may be used as a reference for C, C++, Java and C#/.NET programmers.
The book contains the following chapters:
- Table of Contents
- Integrating GLG Drawings into a Program
A general overview of the process of programming with the GLG Toolkit.
- Using the C/C++ version of the Toolkit
- Displaying a GLG Drawing
How to load and display a GLG drawing in an application program in different programming environments.
- Compiling and Linking GLG Programs
The details of compiling and linking an application program with the GLG libraries.
- The GLG Generic API
Describes functions of the GLG Generic API for loading a displaying a GLG drawing is a cross-platform way.
- Animating a GLG Drawing with Data Using the Standard API
Describes functions of the GLG Standard API used to animate a drawing with real-time data.
- Handling User Input and Other Events
A description of the ways in which a GLG drawing can be used to get input from an application program user.
- GLG Intermediate and Extended API
How to query the content of a drawing and modify the drawing from an application program.
- GLG C++ Bindings
A description of GLG C++ Bindings and the GLG MFC class.
- Using the ActiveX Control
A description of the GLG ActiveX Control methods.
- Using the Java and C# Versions of the Toolkit
- A description of the Java and C#/.NET versions of the GLG Class Library.
- GLG Programming Tools and Utilities
Descriptions of the utility tools that come with the GLG Toolkit.
- C/C++ Graph Layout Component
The graph layout component for the GLG C/C++ library.
- Appendix A: Global Configuration Resources
- A list of global configuration resources.
- Appendix B: Message Object Resources
A table of the GLG event types and their message object resources.
- Appendix C: GLG Object's Attribute Table
- A list of the default attribute names for all object types.
This guide assumes that you are conversant with the basic concepts of computer graphics programming. For a comprehensive discussion of three dimensional computer graphics, we recommend Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice, Foley, Van Dam, Feiner, and Hughes. Second edition, 1990; Addison-Wesley, Reading MA.
Please note that although the illustrations in this document represent the UNIX/Linux version of the GLG Graphics Builder, the information it contains is equally relevant to Microsoft Windows users. The two versions present the same functionality in equivalent user interfaces, with minimal, cosmetic differences caused by the different platforms.
Generic Logic, Inc.